Monday, August 2, 2010

The curious creature of habit:

I never took interest in reading a full text book before, but as i walked along the aisle of one of the bookstore in the mall, I saw this black book that looked like a bible. I grabbed it, to return in the right category when I saw the title: 

The Idea Book 


There was a sense of charisma on how this book was presented. And i just cant get my hands of it while reading it. 150 pages of wisdom by other people and 150 of your own. 

An actual sketch book of ideas that inspire you to think in a perspective mostly discussed as ignorance and unpractical. 

It is a collection of an informative story and quotes from famous Icon like:


 "A question that sometimes drives me hazy am I or the others crazy"
Albert Einstein

 "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize 
how close they were to success when they gave up"
 Thomas Edison

"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often"
 Sir Winston Churchill

We often sugar coat are ideas for it to be pleasing in the ears of a critic, hypocrisy sells a million lies but creativity invents an infinite possibilities. This book allows the reader to practice his wisdom against his practical abilities in the most simplest way, really for the creative people and perspective hungry artisan.




The Idea Book 
Author: Fredrik Härën

The Barometer and the house

A teacher once set this as a test question: how can you measure the height of a house with a barometer? The teacher wanted the students to say that you measure the air pressure on the ground and then the air pressure at the top of the house. Then by using formula, you can work out the height. One student, however; thought that this was too simple, so he suggested the following:

       "if I were to measure the height of a house, I would climb up onto the roof and lower the barometer tied to a pice of string until it reached the ground. I would then measure the length of the string". The teacher marked this answer wrong.

But our friend, the obstinate, student, was not wrong. After all, he succeeded in measuring the height of the house with a barometer. The student did not give in: he asked the teacher to give him another chance to answer the question. This time, he wrote:

         "If I were to measure the height of a house, I would climb up onto the roof and drop the barometer from there. I would time the process to see how long it takes for the barometer to reach the ground. From this, I could calculate the height of the house."

Once again, the teacher gave him zero. This time, the student suggested:

         "I would climb up the stairs in the house, and on the way up, I would take measurements against the wall. On reaching the top, I would multiply the number of times I used the barometer by it's length and then I could work out how tall the house is"

The student was told off again.

         "Maybe the teacher is expecting a more mathematical answer" he thought. His next idea was this:

          "I would place the barometer next to the house and measure it's shadow. Then, I would measure the height of the barometer and the house's shadow in order to work out how the height of the house"

The teacher did not this answer either!

By now, the student was so fed up that he wrote:

"I would go to the house, knock on the door and say to the occupant, If you don't tell me how tall your house is. I'll beat you up to death with my barometer!"


--The Idea Book Pages 104-105

The Idea Book: Products from amazon
The Idea Book: Official Website

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: